Grasshoppers & Walking Sticks
Fall must be a busy time for grasshoppers in Floridian nature because I sure have seen a lot of them in my garden this month. This southern green-striped grasshopper is a common insect found in Florida as well as other southern states. The greenstriped grasshopper feeds mainly on grasses with a preference for succulent plants .This one was feeding off my banana tree and had eaten about 1/8 of a large leaf when I discovered him. The greenstriped grasshopper possesses long wings that extend 2 to 8 mm beyond the end of the abdomen. A strong flier, it often travels a great distance from where it hatched. This grasshopper seems to be a female based on her size and color and she has attracted at least one male who I caught trying to put the move on her! This two-striped walking stick is also a common sight around here. Other names for this skinny creature are devil's riding horse, prairie alligator, and stick bug. These bugs are not harmless b...
Comments
Post a Comment